The majority of castings cannot be categorized into an easy bucket. These range from consumer products and medical products to agriculture and others. Manufacturers in these industries have a wide variety of requirements for their QA processes, some of which fall into the following major categories:
- Throughput – the x-ray system cannot act as a bottleneck in the production cycle.
- Latitude – castings can have varying densities within the same part. Thus, the x-ray system must have the dynamic range and capability to optimally inspect all areas of the part
- Reliability – the x-ray machine must maintain maximum up-time as production cannot stop. Delivery schedules are aggressive to begin with, delays are not acceptable
- Floor space – floor space on a production floor is always at a premium. Thus the x-ray system must take up as little square footage as possible
- Traceability – each cast product must be traced throughout the production cycle and have the records kept for several years after production. The x-ray system must have robust and customizable archival capabilities.
VJT offers customized solutions for castings manufactures as well as a suite of configurable products and inspection services. The most common systems used by manufactures are broken down in the following matrix:
*Floorspace: smallest is 1, largest is 5
*Views: 1 can be programmed for the most amount of views, 5 for the least amount of views
*Throughput: 1 is for the fastest throughput, 5 is for the slowest throughput